Assistant Store Manager
425 Broadway, Bayonne, NJ 07002 • Mike.Otero180@gmail.com • (862) 596-0399
Dynamic, Solutions-Oriented Manager and Supervisor
Proven and effective leader who is passionate about driving business and creating shareholder value.
— Key Qualifications —
- Highly focused, organized manager who clearly communicates business policies, guidelines, and objectives.
- Top-notch coach and mentor who helps, guides, and inspires team members to achieve positive results.
- Extensive background in sales management, operations, shipping and receiving, and loss prevention.
- Awards and recognition include: Employee of the Month (twice in first 90 days), Certificate of Excellence in Operations (first runner-up in district), appointed Inventory Control Specialist for Manhattan District, and five promotions.
The Home Depot – Jersey City, NJ
Overnight Supervisor/Dept. Manager, 2004 to 2016
Managed all activities related to customer service, merchandise flow, store maintenance, expense management, shortage prevention, and sales support functions for $90 million operation. Trained and supervised team of both part-time and full-time associates. Solicited feedback directly from customers to improve shopping experience.
- Actively coached and counseled associates to reach their fullest potential, creating positive work environment resulting in higher retention and turnover reduction.
- Clearly communicated departmental, store, and company objectives and ensured all procedures, policies, and shortage awareness programs were thoroughly understood.
- Directed floor moves, merchandise placement, and sales/event set-up, keeping merchandising presentation and replenishment up to company standards.
- Entrusted to perform both opening and hard closing of store as key carrier with alarm codes.
- As certified trainer for all lift equipment operation, achieved zero OSHA recordable accidents with 28 trainees for nine fiscal quarters.
FootAction USA – Jersey City, NJ
Assistant Manager, 2002 to 2004
Recruited and supervised store team, addressing team issues fairly and directly with solution-oriented thinking. Promoted excellent customer service, meeting or exceeding expectations. Determined processing timeframes and productivity standards with shipments (revising on boxes per hour).
- Consistently realized all budgetary and payroll goals, managing payroll to ensure optimal coverage during peak volume days (i.e. weekends).
- Complied with loss prevention guidelines and ensured accurate and complete execution of all associate paperwork.
J.CREW Retail Stores – New York, NY
Inventory Manager, 1999 to 2002
Oversaw inventory systems to achieve individual Sales Per Hour (SPH) goals, with annual volume of 9.5 million. Hired and directed store team, managing payroll hours to schedule optimal coverage during peak volume days. Analyzed Known Shortage Reports and Big Hit forms for patterns, and monitored camera systems and procedures to mitigate loss. Conducted quarterly alarm testing. Coordinated LP contests.
- Guided structured feedback through 90-day and Annual Review process for approximately 70 associates, identifying promotable associates and creating career development plans.
- Researched suspicious patterns for fraudulent transactions in UPS teleship management, with volume of 2000+ packages annually.
Associate of Arts, Religious Science, Consortium of the Niagara Frontier, Helmuth, NY